Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Thirty-Hour Day

(okay, so it really was only 29 hours, but 30 sounds better!)
So, I'm finally in Japan! And boy, oh, boy was that a trip to remember!
As I said on my Facebook: "Arrived safe and sound(ly asleep)."

I wish.

I woke up at 4am on Friday, August 26 and proceeded to go to the airport where I needed to do a quick transfer of luggage for between my old carry on, my two gigantic suitcases, and my new carry on (it had wheels!). I then boarded the plane and made a 12 hour flight from Chicago to Japan. During this flight I slept, watched Miss Congeniality, and played ~5 games of Solitare. I also read 253 pages of a book and ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Then there was a layover of 2 hours in Tokyo, and then there was an hour long flight to Osaka. I am very happy that there were carts that I could put all of my luggage in instead of me having to pull them. Ugh. Otherwise I would probably have less luggage. :)

Having suffered from no airsickness on the previous flight, I was upset (to my stomach) to find myself airsick for the second flight. Then we (for I was traveling with my friends Mita and Lena), waited to leave the airport for ~2 hours (until 8:30pm JST) as the rest of the Kansai Gaidai gang arrived. I also entered my very first conbini (convenience store) and had onigiri (rice balls with filling) for dinner. They were yummy. 

After we took a bus to Kansai Gaidai, we were given our rooms. I have two other roommates in my cramped little dorm who haven't arrived yet. I cannot wait until this week is over and I actually get to meet my homestay family! It will be the day before my birthday.

It also appears that I have bypassed the jet-lag part of my trip already. I'm relieved because it seemed like a nasty thing to go through.

Today I did a little exploring with some of the people from the dorm I'm staying in. Despite being in a foreign country, the idea that I'm stuck here for a year (hooray!) hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm sure it has something to do with everyone talking in English and walking down somewhat empty roads, with no people.

The houses and streets here are so smushed together, I barely know how they can breathe! But every house looks perfectly complete and not cramped at all. In addition, many of the houses I've seen have beautiful gardens and gables. Right next to each other are houses that are in "modern" and "traditional" styles. Put together, it's not a hodgepodge as some would imagine. It goes together well.

But anyway, today I explored around. I actually saw the Kansai Gaidai campus (which is beautiful and ginormous, if you wanted to know), and went to a couple of conbini and supermarkets. Sunday is the day when the school cafeteria isn't open, so we had to fend for ourselves. Things are pretty cheap at conbini (and compared to the lunches at the cafeteria here, as well!) so I'm sure I'll be returning within the week.

Today I bought a pair of house slippers. House slippers are used in Japan as secondary shoes that never go outside. People take off their shoes in the front of the house (houses are even designed so that there's a small place to do so) and then put on the slippers and then continue throughout the house. Mine are pink and red with cherry blossoms on them. They barely fit my feet, but were the biggest ones in the store. Oh, the travails of having giant feet... :)

Also, everyone told me about the heat, but I didn't realize it until I was red (almost purple) faced and sweating. Unfortunately, my Latvian ancestors gave me my very fair skin tone, and there's absolutely no way to hide how hot I get in the sun. (Also, as a side note, I would like to congratulate all the Japanese women I saw today driving their bikes one handedly as they held parasols over their heads. I would not be able to drive in high-speed traffic or dodge pedestrians like that, but you made it look effortless). At least I finally got my air conditioner working. :)

Well, that's all for today. Perhaps tomorrow (the first day of orientation!) will bring new surprises (and maybe pictures as well!)

Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment