Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tokyo - Day 1

My trip started late at night with something called a "night bus." As the name implies, a night bus is a bus that runs at night and stops periodically, waking you all up from your uneasy slumber. I was in the cheapest seat which was also the most cramped, you see. I'd wake to find myself somehow draped over my poor seatmate or hanging out into the isle. It was a particularly unrestful six or so hours.

When I blurrily awoke for the nth time, I was greeted with weak light and rain. Drizzly, drizzly rain--and I had left my rain boots at home! Oh no! That was my first glance of Tokyo. So we arrived at Tokyo Station at 7am--check in to our hostel wasn't until 3pm--we had some time to spare. Luckily, the hostel allowed us to keep our bags in a spare room before we checked in. And then we were off!
My first sight of Tokyo

My companions on this quest are Mari, Paulina, and Keifer--we're going to have so much fun!

After checking in our bags, we went to explore the quarter we're currently residing in--Asakusa! It was still miserable outside, so--alas!--no pictures, but we went to a used bookstore, one of the prettiest pottery shops I've ever witnessed, the supermarket (to buy dinner) , and then to the post office where I shipped my pottery purchases home (keep an eagle's eye out, Mom!) because they wouldn’t fit in my small suitcase otherwise!

After that, we returned to the hostel, checked in and I completely crashed. Keifer went to Tokyo Tower, but apparently the rainy view wasn't too impressive. After arising from my blanket cocoon, I concluded that I still don't understand why military time is used in Japan (on closer thought: probably because of MacArthur) but I don't understand it--and I've been living under military time's oppressive regime for over 6 months now!

We had a late dinner, discussed what we want to do over the next couple of days and then Paulina and I went down for  free drinks at the bar (we got a coupon for staying at the hostel and needed to take advantage of it).

It was pretty much my first real experience with alcohol, seeing as I'm the legal age in Japan, but not in America. I had some sweetened plum wine that strongly reminded me of cherry cough syrup, orange juice with vodka that just tasted of orange juice, and orange juice with a flavor of rum that practically punched you in the roof of your mouth as an aftertaste.

I didn't manage to finish them all--Paulina and I grazed over them all, but I feel that perhaps alcohol is not my forte (unlike several other residents here)...

After drinking, I promptly went to bed--tomorrow's a busy day and we're going to the Oedo Flea Market (if it's not rained out) and Akihabara!

Sorry I'm short on pictures--nothing much of interest happened today. There will be tons in the upcoming posts, though, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment