Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Royal Palace and a Belated Birthday!

Today I visited the Imperial Palace and had a very belated birthday party! I went with one of my friends, Catherine, to walk through the palace. It’s only open to the public twice a year, so I was very excited to go. Of course, my excitement was not hampered by the fact that it was pouring. The gardens were so tranquil, I felt like I was stepping into a fairytale. 

The architecture was astounding. It’s really hard to believe that this was all created around 794—and it’s still around today (with tons of upkeep and replacing and rebuilding, of course!).












Then, for lunch, I had a hamburger sandwich and a cup of tea. They were delicious.


In a fancy teacup, too!

After returning from Kyoto, it was time for the party. And let me say, the birthday party was a blast!

I invited some of my friends to come and everyone, except Caroline and Marion, were able to make it. We walked back from the local train station, in the dark, to arrive at Okaasan’s house where she treated us to a mighty feast, starting with these delicious bento boxes, following up with ginger-laced yakisoba, and following with a cake that was so fluffy and light, I swear it was made with walnut flour. They were garnished with purple chrysanthemums, which were edible! 
The Group (clockwise from the lower left): Machi, Alexa, Erin, and Margaret



And delicious, they were!

Okaasan also made party favors for holding chopsticks. Mine reads 私のかわいい”サラ” いつもありがとう!, which translates as "My Adorable 'Sarah' I am eternally grateful!" 
 
I had a blast and Okaasan was very happy to be able to meet my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment