Thursday, December 22, 2011

O.O

Last night I received a surprise—Okaasan had a gift for me! And that is how I learned the payoffs of being a historical culture nerd. 

What did I get?

Okaasan bought me a NEW HAORI and SCARF in a shibori pattern (shibori is also known as “tie-dye”  in the West, but Japan’s style is so unique and quintessential “Japan” that they seem like different ways of cloth dying, in my mind). I was blown away. She told me I was the first student she had done this for because I had shown an interest in the culture.
This is the shibori dying pattern, not from my haori or scarf, unfortunately... Each of these little circles is created by tying a tiny rope around the fabric before dying...pretty intricate, ne?
I was blown away. The scarf is a gorgeous mix of pink, red, and orange, while the haori is a light red. I couldn’t stop smiling. I am bouncing off the walls. It is so pretty and I am so happy; I am basically incoherent with descriptive words to describe how I feel right now. Awestruck, bashful, cheery, delighted, elated…I could go on for the entire alphabet!

I don't have any pictures yet, but I will!
I spent most of today figuring how to pack all of my stuff (plus the stuff my family sent for winter) into two little suitcases....I think I accumulate waaaaay too much stuff way to quickly. -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment