Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fishy Food

My new family is different from my old Okaasan, especially in food. This family eats way more fish than Okaasan did--and different varieties as well!

Yesterday I had salmon roe (ikura いくら) for the first time. It was...interesting--nice with rice and nori, but salty. I've also eaten whole (baby?) squid now--the eyeballs are more bitter and cruncher than I expected them to be.
This is a type of hot pot called "oden"
I have also partaken of the Japanese hamburger (which is more like a mini-meatloaf, if you ask me).

And I've made cookies!
Look at those sprinkles~!

A wild Hina-chan appears!

Don't they look good?

Gadzooks! She's gotten even closer!
Hina-chan kept circling the cookies until I took pity on her and put  them away. They're cinnamon shortbread dipped in chocolate (I also made some plain ones because it appears that Okaasan (this family) doesn't really like cinnamon).

1 comment: