Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day in Japan is a big thing. But maybe I’m not stressing it properly: it is a HUGE thing. On Valentine’s Day, girls hand make chocolates to give to the boy they like. Of course they also make chocolates for friends, family, and the people in the social hierarchy higher than them, but we’re going to focus on the fact that they make and wrap their own chocolates. Of course, it’s only the girls on Valentine’s Day. There is a separate day on March 14th, called White Day, where boys give back up to three times the amount they were given. Of course these were all invented by the chocolate companies in order to increase sales. Surprisingly, many Japanese people think it is the same in America as well.

This Valentine’s Day I felt like a real player: I got five Valentine’s Day tomo-choco (friend chocolate) from some of my friends who are girls. I had made the decision to wait until the chocolate went on sale to make chocolate cookies (which I’m making on Saturday!)





No comments:

Post a Comment