Sunday, February 26, 2012

Yuzen-zome and Kiyomizudera with the Aviation Club!

So did you know that Kansai Gaidai has an aviation club? Neither did I. Nonetheless, it didn't stop me from taking part in their school-approved field trip!


Today I went on a trip with the Aviation Club to do some yuzen-zome and visit Kiyomizudera yet again. But why the Aviation Club and what’s yuzen-zome, you ask.

To be perfectly honest: I have no clue. I vaguely remember looking up yuzen-zome painting techniques while researching a haori (Japanese traditional coat) for a paper for one of my museum studies class, but I found a complete yuzen-zome experience when I went to do it for real.

We went to a shop called “Mayu” that specializes in yuzen-zome and letting tourists (and interested people) try it as well.  Mayu is actually Japanese for the silkworm cocoon that is used to create silk. Since yuzen-zome is usually done on silk, it is an apt name.

Why the Aviation Club? They were looking for people to go with, I saw the poster, and applied.

We met at ten and then headed off to Kyoto!

First we stopped by a restaurant where we had some sort of traditional Japanese lunch—lots of small amounts of pickled things, you see, in addition to rice and miso soup. It was delicious.


Sesame spinach and tofu







Then we trekked off to Mayu to do yuzen-zome. It was a pretty cute shop and it smelled like ink and paint everywhere. We were allowed to choose our own design, and I chose one of bunnies frolicking.

Here was one I could do
Here's another variation
The yuzen-zome I learned about was a dying technique using rice paste—this is a stenciling technique of a sort. So here is me stenciling:

 


The master of the shop stopped by to watch a work for a bit and I got a big shock--he was the first Japanese person I've met who knows where Wisconsin is! I was very impressed when he was "Wisconsin-state, that's near Chicago, isn't it (badly translated from Japanese)?" I was O___________O Yes, yes it is. 

And here is the final product!


And then they wrapped it up for me!
After doing yuzen-zome, we went to Kiyomizudera (清水寺) which means “Pure Water Temple.”

We went to the Ghibli Shop (of course), where I got my coveted t-shirt as well as a few friends.




I also met (a.k.a. photographed) some maiko (apprentice geisha), 

 
got treated to taiyaki, 
 

and was subjected to a monstrosity they called a cream puff--made. of. custard. O__________________O

It was sakura flavor, though. Not much of a cherry taste--just sweet with a hint of cinnamon

And we had a lot of fun getting up the mountain!

The Girls

The Guys




I lent someone my camera and then discovered this! :D


An omamori (protection amulet of a sort) for happiness
 I was holding off on buying omamori, but I saw these and just had to!

An omamori for good luck--it's got a little bell in it that rings constantly. This is because the sound of a bell is supposed to bring good fortune (that's why there are always bells at temples and shrines)
The last time I went to Kiyomizudera, I didn’t have a chance to drink from the spring which started all the hype, but this time I did! Kinda blurry, but lookit me!

 

Hopefully luck will come in this new year!

And it actually might. I shook an omikujji and got the best fortune there is!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment