Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Robots and Plum Blossoms

In exchange for a little piece of my soul, the Japanese postal service managed to deliver a (very, very small) package I sent on Friday to my family at home. So that took only 3-4 days (depending on where you are), and my little sister got her earrings in time for homecoming (they’re little robots and she’s going to look awesome with them).

In sumi-e we’ve started the plum blossom (ume). I have to say, they remind me more of apple blossoms than plum, but perhaps that is because I’ve lived with an apple orchard in my backyard for a long time. It’s also possibly because I’ve never seen a real plum blossom before. I seem to load up my brush with too much ink while painting, so my blossoms always turn out like ink drops on snow—big, blotchy, and watery; not like plum blossoms at all…

The weather is steadily growing (somewhat) colder. Instead of being in the humid 90s, it’s staying in the 50s, 60s, and 70s which, while very nice for my Wisconsian sensibilities, is a dramatic shock from the previous temperature. My body is not pleased with this, although I love the weather (it’s totally like late autumn perfect weather) my body does not, and it frequents me with chills, headaches and other various annoyances. But I’m having the time of my life! Today, I walked to the bus station from Kansai Gaidai, instead of riding the bus. It was magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment