Friday, October 21, 2011

What do you do when you've finished your final test for the week...?

Toji Temple - The largest wooden pagoda in Japan
You go to Toji Temple and check out their flea market, of course!


Hi all! It’s really been a while!
While midterms are not quite done yet for me, I have heard that some of you are asking Dad about me (no, I have not fallen off the face of the earth...yet). It’s all okay, I’m not dead (but the midterms are trying to kill me!).

So today after my midterm in Reading/Writing, I decided (spur of the moment) to go to Kyoto’s Toji Temple. This had absolutely nothing to do with the giant flea market that happens monthly, I tell you. Needless to say, I took Smitty and we had a blast!

Smitty and I
Since this was spur-of-the-moment, I did not have my trusty camera with me, but Smitty did and very graciously allowed me to borrow it for a few shots. But why are you asking about pictures? What you really want to know is what I bought, right?

I, Sarah [Last Name Omitted Because of the Internet], have finally achieved my two-year dream. I have a furisode. And it’s pink~! Furisode are the types of kimono worn by young, unmarried women. They are known for their long sleeves that flutter gracefully in the wind. They are sold new, usually on the $3,000 range. Luckily I was shopping for used kimono and, due to spotting an imperfection that the owner supposedly didn’t know about, managed to get it for about ¥4,000 (~$52) which is a great deal, especially for a hand embroidered furisode. There’s a little damage, but I think it can easily be covered. Okaasan said it might not fit me though, so over the next couple of days, we’re going to try and see what is the best fit is.

I also bought several obi—the main sash used to tie kimono shut. According to Okaasan, only one of the three I bought is usable. I bought obi to match my kimono, but obi aren’t supposed to do that. The esteemed Alex (my upperclassman and Japan Club appointed Queen of Kimono) had already taught me this, but I had forgotten in my lookit-all-the-pretty-fabrics-and-patterns-and-oooh!-it’s-pink haze that often occurs when I am in the presence of pretty things. But pictures! They will be up soon.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see that the thrill of finding a great flea market find knows no cultural boundaries. Congrats and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thatta girl! Can't wait to see pics of the outfit! Love you and miss you!
    AUnt Beth

    ReplyDelete