Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rice

Rice is really important in Japan. 


Not only is rice traditionally an essential part of every meal and one of the only things Japan will not import in, but it’s also on the five yen coin and has rice paddies in the city (see my previous post)!

I’m not just saying this because of the Asian stereotype either. Rob (one of my favorite professors, Professor Robert Andre LaFleur) made me read a whole book on it (Rice as Self by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney) and gave a very interesting (and detailed) lecture of how rice and Seven Samurai are related.

 
(It's only slightly related, but it's such a great movie! For those of you who haven't watched it (or need a refresher), this is the "happy ending" of the film--people planting rice)

In more interesting terms, it’s  fall, which means it’s the harvest, and that means that we’re having new rice at the table for dinner.

I never really understood the distinction Okaasan made. After all, isn’t rice rice? I learned today that there indeed is a difference. 

New rice is shinier and has something that’s not exactly a crunch, but more chew. (Actually, I find myself preferring old rice, but I think that’s just because I’m used to it and besides, Okaasan’s so happy with the new harvest that I haven’t the heart to be a picky-choosy person…)

So yes, it's the harvest, there's new rice and I'm still alive~!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Back in the States, it never occurred to me that there would be 'fresher' or newly harvested rice and that there is such a difference. I wish I could taste it!

    ReplyDelete