Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reflections

I’ve now spent a little more than a month in Japan, so here are my reflections.

Rice paddies in the suburbs (also in the city!)
I really expected Japan to be more industrialized than it really is. I’m not sure if it’s just the neighborhood I’m in, or if it’s just my expectations of a big city (like Chicago), but there is so much green here, way more than what I expected! Every way I look, there is something green, be it flowers, trees, or even rice paddies (in the city!)! Yes, rice paddies just in between stores. They’re not everywhere, but they’re not that infrequent that you won’t see two or three within a 30 minute walk.

I also didn’t expect the heat (though you probably already knew that) or the fervor in which Japanese women try to protect themselves from the sun. It’s crazy. Driving is also a…unique experience. And I live in constant fear of being run down by anything; from buses to pedestrians.

Japanese food is pretty darn good, though I still am trying to understand the concept of fish in omelets for breakfast. I managed to choke it down the first time with kimchi, but I’m not sure if I can do it again. Also, small fish that look like parasitic worms from Zoology class in my onigiri are also a big no-no. But I am eating fish and all the other objects that I usually do not eat, like mushrooms and pumpkin (Japanese pumpkin is way different from American and oh so delicious).

Sumi-e is pretty darn grand; I love it so much. Unfortunately, my paintings are not as grand as I hoped they would be. Oh well, practice, practice, practice! I’m doing pretty good on orchids now—I like ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment