Saturday, September 3, 2011

10 Things I'm Noticing in Japan

1. The color for the cross walk is red and green: red for stop and green for go. At least in America, red is for stop and white is for go. 

2. Lights and air controlled by a switch have little green lights on if they’re off and red lights when they’re on. I think this is so you know you have the green light to press the switch if they’re off. I keep on mixing them up though… 

3. Street addresses are weird. Instead of having all the numbers in numerical order, I think the houses and buildings were numbered by the time they were built. Con-fus-ing! 

4. My nail polish is chipping a lot. I think it might be the new brand I’m using… 

5. The yen is still rising to the dollar. >.< 

6. The buses and trains are so quiet. I mean, you can practically hear people breathing on it. No one talks. 

7. There are slippers for inside the house, there are slippers for the bathroom. You never mix the two up. You never use your house slippers (or god forbid) your shoes on the tatami, or you are an uncultured barbarian.

8. Even if I can’t understand the Japanese, I can still understand the TV…and the kids’ shows. 

9. Seminar House 3 is built in such a way that you cannot tell what the weather is like outside unless you listen very closely or manage to find a window to look out of. 

10. Japanese bicyclists, motorcycalists, mopedists, and drivers in general. Are. Insane. Always look to the right before crossing a street, parking lot, or even sidewalk.

Just a note before this: the weather has been fine, if  a little rainy this past day. I think the real storm's going to hit tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment