Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Birthday!

Explaining the new markings:
Every morning I start the beginning of the day writing my observations and thoughts. Then I leave for school where I have internet access to post for the blog. Returning home, I continue writing, dispersed with studying and talking to Okaasan. At night, after my shower, I write some more, reflecting on the day. Each change of time and perspective will be marked by a “--------------------------------------------------.”

Okaasan sure seemed surprised when I told her I get up around 6am every day, but she’s up at like 5 or something, busy bustling around the house and doing things.  Breakfast is at 8:30, and I don’t really know what to do with myself before then. I don’t mean to be a hikikomori (someone who stays in their room all day/a shut-in), but I feel if I went downstairs Okaasan would be pushed (by manners/society/etc) to do something for me, and that would inconvenience her.  I’m still a guest in her house, and I need to remain aware of that until I’m not. Of course, I have my computer to write out these blog entries and I have my textbooks here to study (and that’s probably a really good idea to do), so I should be well set.

My night was very restful, after a brief uncertainty with the pillows (which are neither feathers nor soft, but some sort of bean bag) and letting my nails dry without smudging them. But I went to bed relatively early (9:30pm) and slept well. One thing I need to remember in the morning is to put my hair in a ponytail because Okaasan doesn’t want my stray hairs falling around the house (which I totally understand. I do it sometimes at home as well, but usually not first thing out of bed; it’s something to adjust to).

Today is my birthday and I’m now twenty. That means now (finally!) I am the legal age of adulthood in Japan and can do adult stuff such as buying cigarettes (not that I would anyways), drinking alcohol (but I’m kinda a teetoler), and buying a cell phone (FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY!). It’s raining, but since there’s a drought in Wisconsin, I find myself not minding too much. Hopefully it’s raining over there as well.

One thing I’m also noticing her is how everyone seems so perfectly coiffed. I’ve found myself feeling quite awkward if I leave my room not wearing nice clothing and a layer of makeup. This is so strange—I’m usually not a makeup kind of girl, but I never leave without at least some foundation and mascara. Oy.

For breakfast today, Okaasan served me an egg with toast. But the toast had cheese on it! Okaasan has some sort of spicy sauce on her toast in addition to cheese. I know I come from the land of the cheese (Wisconsin), but this way of eating cheese I’ve never heard from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you leave, the OIE (Office of International Education) tells you that you’re in for some good days and some bad days in the beginning of your trip as you adjust to the culture. I’ve had a great time so far, so I guess I was due for a bad day. I just wish it wasn’t on my birthday. This morning started off pretty well, as you can tell from the beginning of my post. And it continued to be good; my alien registration was finished in less than 10 minutes and then we headed off to the bus station to get my bus pass. However, I didn’t have enough money to pay for the bus pass, and so Okaasan and I had to meet up at 4pm, after my classes were done and I withdrew money from the only ATM that accepts Mastercard on campus. Later we found out that there was an ATM a five minute walk away that I could have used instead of bothering Okaasan’s schedule more.

Once I arrived at school, I went to the lounge and attempted to Skype my family about five or six times so I could talk to them on my birthday. Unfortunately I couldn’t get a hold of them. A later email from my mom said that they were talking about me and thus ignoring the computer. Since I can’t get on the internet at Okaasan’s house (at least for now), I have no way to contact them. I admit, it’s a little depressing.

Also that morning I had arranged to meet Moe at the library. I guess I missed her, because I spent 15 minutes waiting before going to buy a cellphone. And that’s where the real trouble began. Due to the bus fiasco, Okaasan told me to “mail” (text) her when I got my cell phone (keitai), so that she could know when I was leaving for the bus station. However, I misremembered her text address (in Japan, texts go to one address and voicemail to another), and so spent half an hour tearfully trying to reach her with the pertinent information. I even went to the CIE for help, and the nice Japanese intern helping me was stumped as well. Looking it up online, it may be a problem with the settings on Okaasan’s phone, but at that moment, I thought it was just me.

I managed to bumble my way to the bus stop where Okaasan was waiting for me. I apologized for the phone situation. She said it was okay. At the time I was just relieved (and also on the verge of tears), but now thinking back on it, I wonder if she was just saying it or if she was really annoyed. I kinda screwed up her whole daily schedule. I feel like such an idiot. At the bus station, Okaasan took me to a little shop and told me to choose two very small cakes for dinner tonight because it is my birthday. I chose a chestnut cake and a chocolate cake. I’ll tell you what they taste like later.

After an uneventful trip home, I thanked Okaasan, apologized to her again for the inconveniences I led her through today and retreated to my room. Then I wrote down what happened and then let the tears loose.

I know that today was only just one bad day in what’s going to be an awesome trip, but right now I just feel sucky. And what sucks even more is that it’s on my birthday. Right now I’m just missing everything American. I hope this too will pass and I’ll be my normal cheery self. Until then, I’m still going to act cheerful and as if nothing is wrong. Okaasan doesn’t deserve my moodswings. : )

I’m kind of hesitant to post this because I don’t want to worry anyone. I’m going to be fine. But I figure that if I don’t post the bad with the good, people will get a skewed impression. And I don’t want to do that.

Adzuki bean rice

My birthday dinner


However the evening was a delightful contrast to my (somewhat) lousy day. Dinner was a delight. In honor of my birthday, Okaasan made adzuki bean rice (which is only served on the most special occasions like birth, graduation, and marriage) and had it shaped like a sakura (cherry) blossom (I helped pack it). She also grew the adzuki beans themselves! In addition to that, she also allowed me to make an usagi ringo (rabbit apple). I really didn’t think that I’d be let into the
My apple on the right
kitchen (even for some minimal cutting) so early, so that kinda made my day. For dinner, Okaasan freshly fried some things…I really don’t know what most of them were. One tasted kinda fishy, one was a frankfurter wrapped in some sort of white meat, and one tasted really fishy. All were delicious. Okaasan also made some sautéed veggies which I relished—even the mushroom (which, if you know me, is on my “I will eat only under extreme duress and even then…!” list of foods. Current contents: mushrooms, anchovies, and animal brains). Luckily I got my camera charged in time to take pictures! In addition to the before mentioned things, I was also served “ebi senbei” or shrimp crackers. Okaasan called it a “snack,” though I am not sure what that had to do with dinner. I will ask her later.
My chestnut birthday cake



My candle!

After dinner, Okaasan and I talked about language. Well, I attempted to in Japanese, sometimes lapsing into English while she had her electronic dictionary out whenever she needed to find a word (her amount of times=less than my language fumbling). Thank goodness my new cell phone has a Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionary on it! Okaasan wants me to start writing a diary in Japanese about my day so that she can check my written Japanese for errors. Yay! More writing! Is anyone interested in me posting it on the blog along with a translation?

We also bonded over (believe it or not) corn, rice, and cooking. I (obviously) told her about my dad (the reason for my current obsession with Japanese food thanks to his wok, sushi maker, and steaming baskets) and how cooking inspired me. Then somehow we got onto the discussion of rice (the main staple of the Japanese diet) and corn (which surrounds my house [and is also a staple of the American diet, but we didn’t discuss that]). I taught her the word “husk” for husking corn (and quite possibly rice as well!).

Then we started talking about obento (Japanese lunch boxes). She was very surprised that I sometimes make them for Mom and Emily during winter break and was very, very impressed by the fact that I use the stove, not a rice cooker, to make rice. She also said that when it gets cooler, we should make obento together!

Since Okaasan seems to get up before the sun (and  thus me as well, but I’ll never tell her that), I’ve started to go to bed earlier and earlier (like 9/9:30). And look at the time! 9:30pm!

Good night all!

ETA 10pm: Okaasan just brought up for me the present she forgot to give to me. It’s an adorable handkerchief with fans on it! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Sara! I'm glad the day ended up better. I imagine Okaasan is enjoying helping you adjust and doesn't find you a pain at all! Not YOU!

    Hugs.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete