Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lazy Typhoon Day

In Wisconsin, every student awaits with bated breath for the radio announcements of snowdays after a blizzard. However, in Japan, there are Typhoon Days. 

Today class was canceled due the typhoon. Apparently there was a big storm warning. Looking out my window, this morning, I couldn’t see anything, but I fully admit that I’m no expert on tropical storms.  Today was a very lazy day, and I enjoyed it. Last weekend was a 3 day weekend, and now today is a holiday as well. I’d also like to mention that Friday is a holiday too (the autumn equinox), so my last day of school for the week is tomorrow.

I went out with a couple of other dorm students, braving the mist and wind to go shopping. We also stopped by a cafe where I had omurice. I bought lots of cup ramen to last me through the week and some other snacks that will be appreciated.

My room in Seminar House 4 is not what I’d call prime real estate. It’s close to the road, so I always hear a variety of siren noises while falling asleep. There’s also the point that it doesn’t have a balcony, so I have to use the inefficient dryers on the lower level to dry my laundry. Not a high point for me there. The windows have no screens, but thankfully the typhoon has cooled off the air so much, that I don’t need them open. I also have a sneaking suspicion that this is the big party dorm, but I’m not quite sure yet. But, my room is locked by key card, so it always feels like I’m living in some sort of high-class hotel. Also, I manage to keep it pretty clean. So that’s nice. There’s a reason that the words for “clean” and “pretty” are the same in Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment