Sunday, September 18, 2011

Student Open House and Omurice

Today, Kansai Gaidai had an Open House for high schoolers interested in attending. Part of the activities included talking to foreign exchange students and, surprise, surprise, I volunteered. 

Of course it was a free-reign forum for me to show pictures of my family, house, and farm, as well as practice my Japanese (though it should be said that every conversation was prefaced with a 「変な日本語を話してすみません」(or in English, “Please excuse my strange Japanese). It was the perfect ice-breaker.
Me at my booth

The most asked question was how America differed from Japan, and my answered varied from the silent buses (in Japan) to how freakin’ small everything is here. I mean, really. When I first got here I just stared at all the cramped, small houses and was all like, “They’re so small!” Though I have to say, hands down, the best question I got was from a trio of Japanese guys: Who are cooler, Japanese guys or American guys. I just couldn’t stop laughing. Also, one girl’s dream is to “ride a yellow taxi in New York City.” Well, my dream is to be in Japan, so I can only admire how she has specified her dream down into something (relatively) easy to do.

The open house basically took up all of my day, but when I returned home, Okaasan and I had a talk about nothing in particular and my day. I also helped her polish the silver. Now to some (read: most) of you, this may not be anything of notice, but to me, this marks a significant timestamp: I’ve been living with Okaasan for around two weeks now, and she’s starting to treat me more like a family member than a guest. I’m still not fully “one of the house,” but I’m starting to be less of a guest (which is a relief, because I get slightly uncomfortable if I’m not doing something productive).

For dinner tonight, I had omurice, which is somewhat like a burrito if the tortilla was egg and the beans were fried rice. So actually, it’s nothing like a burrito, but it kinda is. The word “omurice” is actually a smushing of the words “omelet” and “rice” but since there’s no cheese, I feel awkward calling it an omelet (the Wisconsonian culture strikes again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment