Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Day in Kyoto

So, I have wanted to go to Kyoto for about forever since I learned about it. It's the site of the Old Capital, the place where the Heian Age reigned supereme and full of the most beautiful poetry to ever be written (in my humble opinion). So I was psyched to find out that I was going!

Mita and Mackenzie
Today Mita and I went to Kyoto where we met Mackenzie.  And it was awesome. We traveled by a train that turned into a subway once it reached Kyoto, then we went around an ancient park and then to Gion, the shopping and geisha district! We didn’t actually get to see any geisha because we stayed in the shopping section, but there were so many cool things to do and see!
We met at a riverside park where I went gooey-eyed over the amount of herons I saw. I have never been able to photograph a live heron this close before and also look at the awesome turtle stepping stones across the river!

Of course I had to take a shot













Our first stop after meeting was at a park with lots of historical value. We walked around due to none of the palaces being open. I was kinda disappointed, but I got some really cool nature shots, so everything is a-ok. My favorite shots are of the red flower I found (I’m may be a nature girl, but I’m uncertain of what type it is…) and the spider web. Spiders are awesome here in Japan; they spin 3-D webs!


3-D spider web, cool, huh?

Us at the gate!


Then it was off to Gion! The first shop we entered was a sweets shop, where I purchased these three little beauties. I’m almost afraid to eat them, they’re so cute! 
oh







so

cute









I browsed through a couple of more shops (not telling you about the cute things I saw; it’ll ruin the surprise when I give them as gifts~!). One thing I can mention without spoiling anything is the cell phone charm I’ve been searching for, for 4 years. In one of my world-shaking, mind-altering Japanese classes with the wonderful Charo-sensei, she mentioned that in honor of the 1,000th anniversary of the Tale of Genji, Hello Kitty had been put in a Heian princess costume and that she had a cell phone charm of it sent to her by a student who loved her (like most seem to do). I finally found my Heian Kitty. And I love her to pieces~! Then we took a break at a cake shop. I had something called an “opera” and it was dark chocolate and delicious. 
オペラ "opera"
Oh so delicious

I also went to a little shop called the Chiri-men craft museum. It may have been a museum, but all I did was shop at the gift shop (scandalous for a Museum Studies minor, I know!). I got a cute little tissue cover for Okaasan and a purse mirror for myself.

We continued on our shopping spree as we went to a Japanese version of claires, a pretty popular jewelry shop back in the states. It was there that we found the best deals of the day. There was a sale (of course there was a sale), but it was an awesome one. Half of the store was 5 for 500 yen. Yeah, we had a fun time. And then the was the purikura, but the photos aren't up yet, sorry!

The rice-gratin thing. Delicious, but confusing
For dinner we went to a chain restaurant, I’m uncertain of the name, where I had some sort of cheesy…thing. It was supposed to be gratin, I think? Anyways it had rice in it and was very filling. Then we loaded up all our purchases and headed home. Where I promptly got on the wrong bus and needed to walk back to the dorm…well, can we at least say that I can survive getting on the wrong bus and heading back in the dark now? I deserve a scout badge or something!


Photo of the three of us, courtesy of Mita

No comments:

Post a Comment