Friday, September 16, 2011

Day of Firsts

Today was the day of firsts; my first earthquake, my first karaoke session, my first time in a Japanese bookstore, my first ballroom dance session, my first time getting interrupted by a random Japanese man, my first time walking home in the dark, my first time getting talked to on the bus with no prompting, the first time I came home later than usual.

Earthquake: it was minor, just a mere tremor, but yep, that was it. I was eating breakfast (miso soup with an onigiri) and then there was a rattling of the silverware. Okaasan didn’t even seem to register it, until I started looking around for the source. It was less noisy/disturbing than a train rumbling nearby your house. Really tame, actually.

Karaoke: It was 600 yen for 8 hours with drinks on the house, but I only stayed for 1 (I didn’t want Okaasan to have to wait up for me). During this hour, I sang “Yellow Submarine” and “Sanpo” (the Totoro theme song), along with singing along to many other songs including “Since U Been Gone” and songs by the Backstreet Boys.

Japanese Bookstore: it was about one and one half floors of books, books, books. The only thing standing in my way was that I could probably only understand a quarter of the children’s section.

Ballroom Dance: I found another dance fanatic who loves swing, while waiting for the rest of our karaoke group. While waiting, we did a few waltzes down the bus station. I was a terrible follow (as usual), but it didn’t help that we were doing Viennese.

Interruptions by Japanese: while waiting with a couple of other friends for the karaoke, an old Japanese man stopped by to tell us to be careful of the typhoon that was coming. “I’m coming and interrupting your conversation because I taught in America, so I can be rude,” he joked to us. His English was very good. He also told us that we were pretty and smart (when we responded to him with Japanese) and that he was 84. It was totally adorable. Even thinking back on the event makes me smile.

Walking Home in the Dark: it is surprisingly well-lit and not very dark at all. I am glad that I know the way now. This was a trial by fire!

Talking on the Bus: I got on the bus and got a prime seat. Then this old lady hobbled on; the bus was pretty much full, so I got out of my seat for her. Then, instead of how previous old ladies have responded to me, she started to protest (I forget the actual words she said), instead of bowing her head. I responded with saying that it was fine (daijyoubu, daijyoubu), and she relented when it was apparent that I would not take that seat again. I stood for the rest of the bus ride home. When the time came for the old lady to get off, she stopped by me and bowed and thanked me again. Really, this surprised me. I mean, from what I’ve witnessed, it’s really impolite to talk or make loud noises on the bus (also eat, but that’s almost criminal). So why would she waste time on thanking me? Was it because no one else would give up their seat? Was it because I appeared to be a manner-less gaijin? What was it?

Coming Home Late: I mailed Okaasan, asking her if I could stay later than the 6:30 I had asked of her the night before (9:30). She said fine. Later on in the day, I realized that 9:30 wasn’t going to be able to cut it, so I upped my time to 10:30. She said it was fine as well. I can’t help but wonder whether I made a faux pas, and that “ok” really meant “this is troublesome, but you are a guest.” So when I got home, I thanked Okaasan using keigo (formal speech) for allowing me to stay out late. She seemed okay with it, so maybe this is just paranoid ramblings, but I really don’t want to offend her only two weeks or so into this homestay.

In other news today, I went window shopping with Smitty (my fellow from Beloit College). We walked from Kansai Gaidai to Izumi-ya and then from Izumi-ya to Kiddy Land, and then from Kiddy Land to random wanderings around Hirakata-shi Station until it was time for karaoke. Also in other important news, there’s another typhoon hitting us, though not as direct as before. Hopefully no people will die during this one (last one around 43-50 people were dead at the latest count). However, my window is closed for tonight. I hope I don’t suffocate from the heat!

In way more awesome, better news: Holy shitake mushrooms. Okaasan managed to get the sumi stains out of my pants. Those things are freaking impossible to get out of clothing. The teacher herself said that she’s never been able to get them out of her clothing, which is why she wears all black, all the time. Countless people have tried, but only the Japanese housewives prevail. I am in awe of Okaasan. I spent some time today looking at different patches in case the miracle remedy didn’t work, but there was no need. Super Okaasan to the rescue!

My favorite pants are saved~!

No comments:

Post a Comment