Friday, September 9, 2011

Meeting Moe!

Today (and I mean today, Friday, September 9, 2011) I had my first test in Spoken Japanese. That's why I didn't write my blog entry last night. And just so you know: it went terribly.

This is it, the test that determines my "grade" in Japanese, to make sure I was put in the right class. I spent all of last night studying and...everything totally left my head when the test was put in front of me. I did my best though! That should count for something, right? I hope so. If I have to go through Genki II (last year's textbook) again, someone is going to be hurt (probably my brain via implodation).
Today was also important to me because I finally met Moe (pronounced "Moe-eh"). Moe is one of the speaking partners that I was in contact with before my jaunt over the ocean. We've been trying to get together for about two weeks now, but today we finally met! We went to a little cafe called Sora Cafe (which means "Sky Cafe") which was on the top floor of a building near the bus/train stop. She gave me birthday presents and they are adorable! I got a ladybug-spotted coffee mug with a matching spoon and a milk pitcher shaped like a rabbit (its mouth is the spout). Horrible person that I am, I am already imagining how I can use it for Koolaid or some other red-colored drink. Then we went to go get purikura! I don't have any camera or scanning capabilty right now (I'm in the Kansai Gaidai computer lab), otherwise I'd post pictures (I probably will later!). Posted 9-13-11!

Purikura!
Yesterday, I met my newest friend, Hannah! She's a Brit from the other side of the pond, who rides the same bus and gets off at the same stop as me (Kourigaokananachoume, if you're interested...). We also went for a brief purikura stop on the way to the bus station. It's kinda amazing, the places you can find when you stop looking for the bus and start looking around. Purikura pictures will be up later.

Yesterday I also had my first practical sumi-e class! It was so much fun. We learned how to grind ink, how to make a "bone stroke" and shading. I'm not that good at it, though. D: With practice though, only time will tell. The teacher, Katherine Scott, has been studying calligraphy and sumi-e for about 50 years or so, I think. She's pretty cool and her brushwork is exquisite.

The weekend is the one time of the week that I will not be posting, due to a lack of internet at Okaasan's home. This will be supplimented by a new feature, "The Weekend Report," which will be an accounting of all that happened on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (posted on Monday). This weekend's going to be a bit boring because I HAVE ANOTHER JAPANESE TEST ON MONDAY. o.o Yes, I just can't seem to get enough of these tests. This test is on on of my worser subjects--kanji. Please, someone save me~~~! XD If I study over the weekend, I'll be fine (I hope!).

As for food: apparently in Japan, they serve bun-less burgers with gravy over the top of them. Delicous, but different. Also, I don't think I can get used to fish for breakfast, but I can get used to miso soup. It's delicous and has aburage (fried tofu skins) in it. Yum, yum, yum. Also, the Japanese do not bone their fish. BEWARE. Okaasan had to show me how to pick fish bones out ("like a baby," she said, kindheartedly). I'm still eating well, and I think now Okaasan understands that I don't eat big, "American-sized" meals. I can actually finish my food and not feel like I'm bursting at the seams, now!

No comments:

Post a Comment