Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to Survive on 600 yen or Less: Life in the Dorms

Being a college student means scrimping and saving every cent you can. Especially when you're in a country where the yen is rising to the dollar. -_-

For those types of college students, here is a bit of advice: the conbini and hyakuen stores are your friends. Hyakuen means 100 yen, so they are equivalent to our dollar stores, but so much better. You can get a decent-sized onigiri (rice ball with filling) for 100 yen, and that takes care of your lunch. For dinner, you can stop by a conbini and check out their fresh food in the refrigerated isle for about 300 yen. For breakfast, you can stop by a vending machine and grab some orange juice for a maximum of 150 yen or go to a conbini or supaa and grab some melon pan. It’s not a great way to survive, but you can do it if you really need to save money. Another good idea is to go to a conbini or supaa (supermarket) at the end of the week and stock up on cup ramen and such. Throughout the week, buy some fresh food from the supaa or the conbini to go with your starchy cup noodles as well.  Also, the supaa Fresco has the cheapest fresh food around, but you want to go to the Sanko conbini for the cheapest cup ramen.

In other news, it really cooled down today; usually it’s been in the 90s, but today was more in the 70s. I also noticed that one of my favorite skirts was hanging a little lower than usual. I went to the gym to confirm: without doing any extra exercise (I like only walk 15 min a day), I have dropped 7 pounds. O.O Jeeze louise! I’ve only been here for less than a month. Hopefully I can regain my “weight” with muscle. I plan to work out with Marian (if we can ever get our schedules to fit together…)!

No comments:

Post a Comment